Relevant education issues in Africa
Education played a critical tool in the liberation of the African continent from colonial bondage. Despite having attained political independence, African nations are faced with a hurdle of attaining economic independence which is sometimes ascribed to the education system.
Let’s take a look at some quotes about education (https://everydaypower.com/quotes-about-education/):
1. Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today - Malcolm X
2. Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family. – Kofi Annan
3. Change is the end result of all true learning - Leo Buscaglia
4. Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. – Albert Einstein
5. "Education is the great engine of personal development. It is through education that the daughter of a peasant can become a doctor, that the son of a mine-worker can become the head of the mine, that a child of farmworkers can become the president of a great nation... https://twitter.com/nelsonmandela/status/1042304682998329345
6. Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” Nelson Mandela https://artsculturesa.wordpress.com/2014/06/05/the-10-most-powerful-nelson-mandela-quotes/
Can we confidently say that the education being offered in our schools and institutions of higher learning today provide solutions for Africa’s economic liberation? If not, should the education system itself first become transformed or liberated (decolonisation of education)? Or, what must be done to make education the panacea to Africa’s great hurdle of economic independence as well as achieving the UNO’s 2030 sustainable development agenda (https://sdgs.un.org/goals)? What form of education is relevant in the African context?
Join us in shaping the African continent education debate....................................... Great North Business Incubator is a critical player in redefining the education system.........